Lunaran.com Matthew Breit Level Designer | Texture Artist
Thu, Mar 6th, 2008 | 1:21am
Other more hip and with-it mappers like metlslime and Vondur are releasing their map sources under the GPL or some equivalent legal mogumbo. Someone prompted me about mine, and I really didn't see why I couldn't follow suit. Now everyone can make terrible ports and conversions of my maps to Urban Terror and Nexuiz using mismatched evil8 textures. Happy birfday:
- [ Lun3DM1src.zip ] - Contains one .map file used to compile the final release, and the original blockout .map which it evolved from.
- [ Lun3DM2src.zip ] - Contains final .map and original blockout (Quake 2 format, loads in q3/gtkradiant fine). The easter egg in this map is retardedly well hidden, and also stupid.
- [ Lun3DM3src.zip ] - Contains final .maps for both regular and CPMA flavors, plus original blockout.
- [ Lun3DM4src.zip ] - Contains final .maps for both original Lun3DM4 and CPM23, plus several original blockouts modified by me and wviperw over the course of a few weeks. The evolution evident here is really striking.
- [ gridironsrc.zip ] - Contains the .map file used to compile the final release, and that's all because I built it as I went.
(At this point in time Swelt is apparently AFK long-term, and I'm not going to release the source for that without his permission. If I hear a yay or nay from him I'll edit these words as if they were never here.)
Some other things I'm working on right now and pretty much past making promises about finishing:
LunSP2: Tons of things need to happen to appease my ambitious plans for this (3 maps, new monsters, a new weapon, and it'd be nice to have music ...) but I've actually managed to keep a fairly steady rate of headway. I've tweaked out modelgen to import an ASCII frame definition and written a python exporter for said ASCII format for Maya, which has made creating models for Quake a total breeze. That'll probably appear in the project box sometime soon. I know engine mods will also be required for LunSP2 (although not for insane graphical purposes), so there's that to do, and I suppose eventually all this coding is going to have to lead to some actual mapping ...
Lun3DM5: Better known to those who've played it as LRA1D, this was an itemless map I knocked up for the Raven Rocket Arena crowd before the great Raven cool-people exodus of 2006. My new plans are to take the layout and experiment with just how much lightmapped static mesh Q3MAP2 will let me get away with, the goal being "the whole map."
A TF2 map: Layouts are being scribbled furtively on paper in the backs of Madison bookshops, and I have visions of merging the volcano-mastermind-lair chic of the main location of The Incredibles with 60's modernist/brutalist concrete and flagstone architecture. We'll see if this one gets anywhere.
CouchCrates™: I thought of this idea before Portal spawned plushy companion cubes in the Valve Store (you bastards), but I have plans, materials, and equipment for making small brown shipping crates using the same materials and construction as couch cushions. KungFuSquirrel has already declared "omg I want three so I can stack them." Sewing and cloth-craft are not my forte, however, so buying that sewing machine could turn out to be a terrible error in judgement.